Monday, February 4, 2008

The Carmelite Vocation

Tonight I am sleeping in the guest house of a convent; specifically, a Carmelite monastery for women: Episcopal Carmel of St. Teresa. I have been a friend of the community ever since my friend John (an Oblate) introduced me to it two years ago. I have been a Priest Associate of the community for a little over a year. (An Associate is basically an "Official Friend" of the community and a member of the extended family. Oblates are men and women who live in the world but live the Rule of the community at the same time; in specific paths of daily prayer, study, and support.) Today I was elected to the Board of Directors. That means, basically, that I continue to do what I have been doing: supporting the community in prayer and in tangible ways as I am able. The vocation of a Carmelite nun is to be a hidden, silent missionary praying for the church, and in a sense, being the prayerful heart of the church. It's a wonderful thing to know that I and my parish are prayed for each day at the Carmel. Carmelite nuns are contemplative, enclosed women who strive to be best friends of one another by loving one another as Christ loves us. They're pretty awesome.
This community is the first of its kind outside the Roman Catholic church, which is doubly awesome. We desparately need people whose ministry is to pray for the church. In the Anglican Communion--and specifically in the Episcopal Church--we need it now more than ever.
Of your charity, pray for Sister Teresa Irene, OCD, the foundress of the community; and for women to be drawn into the Carmelite life of prayer and contemplation, joy and praise, to the Glory of God. Amen.

No comments: